maandag 29 december 2014

Micro AAR: Speed baiting

Hello reader,

Have you ever heard of 'speed baiting'? Probably not. I just made that up. But here's a short AAR of one particular fight I would like to share with you.
Last week I spotted a Garmur orbiting a lowsec gate. Garmurs are the pricey Mordu's Legion missile frigate that are usually set up with a kiting fit due their Warp Disruptor range bonus; they orbit and spam missiles from 40km or whatever without getting anything close to them.

This Garmur was orbiting the gate at a fair 5000m/s, maybe 5500m/s, taking nice loops and circles, playing around, and at some point he found himself 300km off the gate.
5500m/s may be fast but I know my dear old Firetail can easily go 8000m/s with a bit of heat and my Snake implants. The only problem is that if the Garmur is 300km away, and I burned towards him with 8000m/s, he would see my speed and quickly compute the fact he won't be able to outrun and kite me, and simply warp off before I get close to him. This would result in no fight at all.

What to do? The only way he would take a fight is with a slower target, so that is exactly what I give him. I warp to the gate at a distance (out of Sentry gun range, mind you!). The Garmur is still more than 150km away, but I act like a noob looking for a fight and approach him but lowering my speed to merely 4000m/s ... Much slower than his top speed.

What happened next is rather predictable. He sees me coming, quickly points his nose towards me and takes the fight like a nerd. Once he's in his comfortable orbit I overheat my shit at max speed and quickly get a scram on him.

http://dark-rising.eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=26587619

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten